The Meaning of the Term “HVAC”
For most consumers, the trades remain mostly a mystery. Most people are content to let the professionals handle electrical, plumbing, and HVAC work. Being an informed consumer is important to make sure that customers get the service they pay for and that they know who to call when they have a particular problem that needs solving. When it comes to the HVAC industry, knowing what that term stands for can help guide residential and commercial customers in choosing the right industry to solve their problems.
H – Heating
The “H” in HVAC stands for heating. When an HVAC professional is licensed, they are trained and qualified to handle all aspects of repair and heating equipment. These professionals can handle anything entailing gas furnaces, heat pumps, or electrical resistance heating.
Some of the specific services that fall under this category are:
- Furnace Repair: HVAC professionals can repair broken furnaces. Whether pilot lights have gone out or blower fans need to be replaced, they are the ones to call.
- Heater Installation: For a new installation, HVAC professionals can help. They will install new heating equipment safely and to proper building codes.
- Heat Pump Service: Heater specialists can perform service on heat pumps. They can inspect it to make sure it is mechanically sound and ensure that it is running efficiently.
- Heater Tune-Ups: Preventative maintenance is important to make sure that furnaces run their best. HVAC technicians can help homeowners accomplish this.
V – Ventilation
Ventilation is one of the forgotten letters in the term “HVAC.” This is mostly because in the field of residential HVAC installation and repair, ventilation happens passively. In larger structures, like commercial or industrial environments, special ventilation equipment is required to ensure the supply of fresh air. It falls to HVAC technicians to make sure that this occurs.
In a standard home environment, ventilation happens by people coming in and out of doors. Most houses are not airtight, meaning that as HVAC equipment cycles, fresh air is pulled in through gaps around doors, windows, light fixtures, and electrical sockets. For homes built more airtight, an HVAC professional may install special air exchangers to make sure that fresh air is always supplied.
AC – Air Conditioning
Air conditioning is probably the part of the “HVAC” acronym that people get most excited about. During the heat and humidity of Flat Rock summers, an AC creates an oasis from the outside. HVAC professionals work hard to ensure that AC equipment is installed properly and is reliable so that people can be comfortable in the cooling season.
Some of the services that they offer to accomplish this are:
- Air Conditioner Tune-ups
- New AC Installation
- Update and Installation of Ductwork
- Ductless Mini Split Installation
- Air Handler Service
In the hands of an HVAC professional, homeowners can have the assurance that their homes will stay comfortable over the summer and that air conditioning equipment will run efficiently for years.