When your water heater malfunctions it can cause inconveniences for your entire household. From showering, washing dishes, and doing laundry in cold water, a broken unit can cause discomfort for everyone. To avoid this, it’s important to have your unit repaired or replaced as soon as you notice an issue. Call Champion Comfort Experts for residential plumbing services in Asheville, NC. We provide fast, same-day services to restore comfort to your home!
Are you looking for an alternative to a traditional water heater? Learn about our tankless water heater services.
Common Water Heater Issues
While having your water heater malfunction is never ideal, occasionally it might require repairs. Some common issues you might encounter with your unit include:
- Lack of hot water: One of the most noticeable issues with your system is a lack of hot water. For gas-powered units, this can be due to an extinguished pilot light that needs to be relit, or a damaged heating element.
- Leaking: If you have a leak, let an expert inspect it to determine if it can be repaired or if the unit should be replaced.
- Excess noise: Loud or unusual noises can signal a damaged heating element or a buildup of sediment inside the unit that needs to be professionally removed.
- Cracks: Cracks should be inspected by a professional to see if they can be repaired or if the unit needs to be replaced.
Life Expectancy of a Water Heater
Unfortunately, like all household appliances and systems, water heaters do not last forever. However, with the right amount of care and maintenance, they can last a significant amount of time. While every make and model is different, most electric units will last from 10 to 20 years. Gas-powered units might not last quite as long as electric systems.
Are your drains starting to slow down? Contact us to learn about our drain cleaning services.
What To Expect During a Water Heater Tune-Up
To increase the lifespan of your water heater and keep it running as expected, it’s important to schedule regular maintenance services on the unit with a plumber. During these tune-ups you can expect the professional to perform the following tasks:
- Drain the basin and remove any buildup of sediment. If not done regularly, this can create a myriad of issues.
- Inspect both the inside and outside of the unit for hairline cracks or signs of aging that could result in more extreme problems at a later time.
- Check for any cracks in the hoses.
- Inspect and change your filters as needed.
- Ensure the unit is operating at its maximum efficiency.