Do you rely on your garbage disposal to get rid of food scraps left on dirty dinner dishes? These units can be very convenient - when they work properly. When they malfunction they can cause your sink to back up and lead to bad odors in your kitchen. To prevent these issues, call Champion Comfort Experts to schedule kitchen plumbing services in Asheville, NC. We will provide upfront pricing for your garbage disposal repairs and installations.
When your drains are clogged don’t dump solution into your pipes. Call us to schedule drain cleaning services!
Common Garbage Disposal Problems
Like all appliances in your house, occasionally your garbage disposal will encounter issues that will need to be repaired by a plumber. Some common problems can include:
- Jams: This can occur when inappropriate items -- like high-fiber vegetables such as corn husks and carrots -- are placed in the disposal.
- Clogs: When clogs occur, let professionals take apart the disposal to remove the blockage.
- Loss of power: If you flip the switch and your unit doesn’t start, it can be due to a disrupted or faulty connection. A professional can inspect the unit and make any necessary repairs.
- Noise: Loud or unusual noises can indicate there are metal or hard plastic objects in the appliance.
- Leaking disposal: Leaks can be repaired by a plumber to get the unit back to working correctly.
How To Determine If You Should Repair or Replace Your Disposal
When your garbage disposal stops working, you might wonder if you should repair the unit or if it’s more cost-effective to replace it. Some items to consider when making a decision include:
- The extent of the damage: Have a plumber determine how severe the needed repairs are. While some problems, like a clogged pipe, can be easily repaired, there are other major problems that can make it more cost-effective to replace the unit.
- Availability of parts: If you have an older unit, it can be more difficult to locate parts, such as bearings and blades. Talk to a professional to determine if your unit’s parts are available.
- Frequent repairs: If your unit requires frequent repairs it can be more cost-effective to replace the unit with a newer model.
If you have questions about whether or not your unit can be repaired or if it should be replaced, ask the plumbers at Champion Comfort Experts.
How clean is the water your family is drinking? Learn about our water filtration system services.
Garbage Disposal Maintenance Tips
It’s important to perform regular maintenance on your garbage disposal to keep it working properly. Some tips you should consider include:
- Avoid putting hard food items like corn husks and chicken bones down the disposal.
- Don’t put starchy foods, like potatoes, in the disposal.
- When using the system, run water into the disposal and keep it running for a few seconds after the disposal has been turned off.
- To keep the blades sharp, grind ice in the disposal once a week.
- Clean your disposal with baking soda, vinegar, and water.
- Freshen your disposal with lemons.