When your furnace works properly, your home can provide comfort from winter’s chilly temperatures. However, when it malfunctions it can cause your home to be cold and uncomfortable. To avoid this, it’s important to have your system repaired as soon as you notice an issue. If you suspect there’s a problem with your unit, call Champion Comfort Experts for services in Asheville, NC. We offer same-day services to restore comfort to your home!
Are you looking for an alternative to a furnace? Learn about our heat pump services.
How To Keep Your Furnace Properly Maintained
To ensure your furnace works when you need it to heat your house during the winter months, it’s important to keep it properly maintained. Some tips to follow can include:
- Schedule a yearly inspection with a technician in the late spring or early autumn. This allows a heating contractor to detect and repair any issues before winter arrives.
- Replace filters regularly, ideally every three months. This prevents dust, pet dander, and other particles from building up in the unit.
- Install a carbon monoxide monitor. This can help protect you and your family if a leak develops.
- Check the ducts to ensure they are properly sealed.
- Examine the blower to make sure there are no obstructions. Also, check to see if it needs to be lubricated.
- Inspect the inside of the unit for defects, rust, holes, or separated seams.
- Clean the burners with fresh water to remove dust and debris.
- Clean the sensor and pilot with a wire brush and an emery cloth.
- Check the “high limit” on the unit to prevent overheating.
- Check the gas meter for the rate of fuel usage.
- Keep the area around the unit clean and unobstructed.
How To Make Your Furnace More Energy-Efficient
Heating your home in the winter months can result in expensive utility bills. Some ways to make your unit more energy-efficient to help reduce these bills include:
- Install a programmable thermostat.
- Ensure your air ducts are in good condition.
- Make sure your property is well insulated.
- Schedule regular maintenance visits.
- Change the filter regularly.
- Let sunlight in to add more heat to your home.
Does your furnace need to be replaced? Learn more about our furnace installation services.
Signs Your Furnace Needs Repairs
To avoid having your furnace completely malfunction, it’s important to schedule repairs with a professional at the first signs of a problem. Some signs to watch for that can indicate your unit needs repairs can include:
- Short cycling: If the unit runs for less than three minutes before shutting off, it can indicate a malfunctioning heat exchanger or an issue with the thermostat.
- Irregular flames: If there are uneven flames, or flames that lean toward the back of the furnace, it can signal your burners need to be cleaned, or that the heat exchanger is cracked. A cracked heat exchanger is a serious issue that should be inspected immediately by a professional.
- Unusual sounds: If you hear rumbling, popping, or whistling sounds when the unit is running it can indicate several issues that need to be repaired.
- Cracked heat exchanger: If your family is experiencing health issues that include frequent headaches or flu-like symptoms it can indicate a cracked heat exchanger. This can cause a carbon monoxide leak and should be treated by a professional ASAP. Carbon monoxide leaks can cause serious health issues - and even death.