Homeowners Should Avoid These 3 Air Pollutants No Matter What

A person’s home can protect them from all the harshness of the outdoors, but only if the home is clean and free from breakdowns. Many people aren’t aware of how bad their indoor air quality can get in a matter of a few months. Homeowners should always be on top of maintaining the air quality in their homes. Otherwise, it could end up making those in the household sick! The longer the air quality is poor inside the home, the worse the effects are on those living there.

The three air pollutants listed below are direct threats to the health and livelihood of those in the household. Continue reading to learn how to spot and remove them as quickly as possible.

How To Spot the Presence of Excess Moisture in the Home

It may come as a surprise, but having excess moisture in the home can significantly decrease indoor air quality. When the humidity inside a home is too high, the homeowner may start to notice the excess moisture in the home.
There are certain signs to look for, some of which include:

  • Doors will get stuck on the carpet because wood expands
  • Mold can start to grow in wet, dark places
  • Clammy skin
  • Damp feeling blankets
  • Musty odors in the home from mold growth

Those inside the household may also experience increased allergy and asthmatic symptoms if the home has too much moisture for too long.

If homeowners notice any one of these signs, the best thing to do is have a dehumidifier installed into the home. The dehumidifier will catch any excess moisture and restore the humidity balance to the home. In turn, the air quality will also get better.

Are Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) in the Air?

Volatile Organic Compounds are one of the most common air pollutants inside the home, and most homeowners aren’t even aware of what causes this type of pollutant.

Below are some of the VOC air pollutants:

  • Aerosol sprays
  • Paint
  • Wood preservatives
  • Cleansers and disinfectants
  • Hobby supplies
  • Dry cleaning supplies

This type of air pollutant is easily avoided or removed if homeowners open the windows after using any of the above-listed products.

Some effects people might feel if they have this pollutant in their home are:

  • Shortness of breath
  • Fatigue
  • Nausea
  • Headaches
  • Coughing
  • Dizziness

If anyone in the home experiences these symptoms, they should get natural airflow into the home as soon as possible. Having too many VOC pollutants in the home’s air for too long could result in serious health issues.

It is always recommended that homeowners use VOC pollutant products in well-ventilated areas for this reason.

Carbon Monoxide Is Harder To Spot Than Some Might Think

Carbon monoxide is one of the hardest pollutants to spot out of this list because the physical signs aren’t as apparent as VOC and excess moisture.

Carbon monoxide pollution is one of the most dangerous too. If there is carbon monoxide in the home for more than a few hours, those in the household could suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning so badly that they have to go to the hospital for treatment. Any longer than that and the poison is deadly to humans and any animals living in the home.

Some of the signs of carbon monoxide in the home are:

  • Feeling dizzy or fatigued
  • Confusion
  • Shortness of breath
  • Gas stoves are unable to light, or the ignition flame is yellow instead of blue
  • Houseplants dying unexpectedly

Champion Comfort Experts Are There When Homeowners Need Them

Now is the time to call Champion Comfort Experts in Flat Rock, NC. Their licensed, trained, and insured professionals are ready to help regardless of the HVAC issue. There is nothing they can’t solve! They even have special discounts on their website. Be sure to call today to learn more about air quality services!

Champion Comfort Experts

company icon